"But the real secret to lifelong good health is actually the opposite: Let your body take care of you."
One of the most important functions of our bodies is digestion. The digestive process starts in your mouth and continues until all of your food is processed, assimilated or eliminated. However, food assimilation does not stop with stomach digestion. Food moves from our digestive system into the bloodstream and is used to feed the cells of our bodies. If the food is not properly digested, it will become sludge in your body which Ayurveda calls ama. Once that happens you need lymph cleansing techniques to remove the toxic food residue.
Here are some signs of ama in the body (source: everydayayurveda.org):
- Irregular appetite or reduced appetite
- Generalized body and joint pains. This is noticed the day after eating certain heavy foods, like meat, cheeses, desserts and fried foods.
- Skin is dull and lusterless with blemishes, acne etc
- Bloated stomach, gases, flatulence
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- White coating on the tongue
- Foul smelling breath and sweat
- Constipation, foul-smelling stools which may be sticky, heavy and stink.
- Lack of mental clarity and energy.
- A sense of heaviness in the abdomen, legs or body as a whole
- Weary and unenthusiastic feeling
- Blocked feeling anywhere in the body, including constipation, sinus congestion and difficulty in breathing
- One wakes up tired even after a good night’s sleep
To support your health so you do not create ama in your body:
- eat fresh organic cooked food that is right for your body type.
- eat your main meal at midday.
- do not eat too frequently so food is properly digested - 3 meals a day is right.
- pay attention when eating.
- do not eat when stressed or upset.
- make sure you exercise.
Below are some videos that will help you further in understanding how to support healthy digestion for yourself.
Digestion And Mental Health
Gut Health by Body Type
How To Improve Your Digestion
Learn About The Far-Reaching Impacts Of Healthy Digestion
Most people think of digestion as a twenty-four hour affair: you eat your food, and then hopefully it is eliminated in a day. The reality is that your digestion is far more important than that. If you want to truly understand what it takes to be genuinely healthy, filled with energy and mentally sharp, it all begins with perfecting your digestion!
Slippery Elm Prebiotic Formula
Slippery Elm Prebiotic Formula is Dr. Doullard's favorite digestive therapy that he has been using successfully for almost thirty years. It is a concentrated proprietary blend of tea made out of chopped (not ground) slippery elm bark, marshmallow root and licorice root.